Image: File photo from Pixabay
Jakarta: Indonesian capital Jakarta on Friday witnessed protests as demonstrators demanded boycotting of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing over China's treatment of Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang.
Dozens of young protesters gathered outside the Chinese embassy in the Indonesian capital ahead of next month's Games, reports Euro News.
The US government and the British, Belgian, Dutch and Canadian parliaments have said Beijing's policy towards the Uighurs amounts to genocide and crimes against humanity, reports the news portal.
Who are Uyghur Muslims?
Uyghur Muslims are a Turkic minority ethnic group originating from and culturally affiliated with the general region of Central and East Asia.
The Uyghurs are recognized as native to the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People's Republic of China.
- Dozens of Chinese warplanes fly close to Taiwan, largest incursion this year
- UAE intercepts two missiles launched by Houthis
- Ukraine-Russia tension: US orders families of embassy staff to leave
- Belgium: 70 held for protesting against COVID-19 restrictions
- US reissues Russia travel advisory over Ukraine