Washignton: The US Senate on Tuesday passed legislation to counter China's growing influence by investing more than $200 billion in American technology, science and research.
China is gaining influence by investing more than $200 billion in American technology, science and research, reports CNN.
Nineteen Senate Republicans joined Democrats voting for passing the legislation.
Passage is a victory for Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat who co-wrote and strongly backed the measure, and for President Joe Biden, who made reaching across the aisle a central promise of his governing strategy, although he has faced criticism for moving unilaterally on his largest agenda items to this point,CNN reported.
- Urgent measures needed to restore Afghanistan's chaotic financial system, says UN
- Afghanistan’s farmers, herders desperate for seed, food and cash
- UK inflation rises to reach highest level in decade: ONS
- World food import bill to reach record high in 2021
- Rail freight service between North Korea, China halted again amid spike in COVID-19 cases