Image: Wikimedia Commons
Vienna/Sputnik: The Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs told Sputnik on Wednesday that it had summoned Belarusian Ambassador Andrei Dapkiunas to express protest over the Minsk-initiated emergency landing of a Ryanair plane that led to the arrest of an opposition journalist.
"Yesterday, on Tuesday, the Austrian foreign ministry expressed to the Belarusian ambassador in Vienna a resolute protest against the actions of the Belarusian authorities during a personal conversation," the ministry said.
The ministry slammed the forced landing as a grave interference in international air traffic and demanded the immediate release of Roman Protasevich, a co-founder of a Telegram channel that directed protests in Belarus, and other political prisoners.
"The incident must be investigated in a quick, comprehensive and, above all, independent manner," the Austrian ministry added.
- General Assembly adopts resolution on Russian reparations for Ukraine
- Germany decides to reevaluate relationship with China, Beijing irked
- China sends message to Taiwan by reshuffling top military in Eastern Theatre Command
- Pakistan one of the most dangerous nations in the world: US President Joe Biden
- China presents moderate face at United Nations