Image: World Uyghur Congress Twitter page
Hague: Celebrating Doppa Day on May 5, a demonstration was staged in front of the Chinese Embassy here in the Netherlands by Hague based non-profit group Global Human Rights Defence (GHRD) and World Uyghur Congress (WUC), media reports said.
Every year the Uyghur Community around the world celebrates Doppa Day.
Doppa is a traditional hat worn by the Uyghurs to protect their cultural heritage. As many as 65 people participated in the protest which included Uyghurs wearing Doppa hats, and some Dutch nationals, reports ANI.
During the protest, slogans were raised for boycotting the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympics 2022.
Demonstrators also condemned the Uyghur genocide.
Other slogans included 'Free Uyghur Now', 'Fascist China ', and 'No Rights No Games', ANI reported.
WUC President Dolkun Isa also took part in the demonstration and addressed the gathering in which he called for a boycott of the Olympics, the news agency reported.
The WUC would like to thank the @ghrdthehague for organizing today’s protest and press conference highlighting the #UyghurGenocide.— World Uyghur Congress (@UyghurCongress) May 5, 2021
The WUC extends its sincere gratitude to Qelbinur Sidiq for sharing her story as a camp survivor. The WUC has awarded her for her bravery. pic.twitter.com/fKWCDlShzl
- Australia: Campaigners demonstrate in Canberra, demand boycotting Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics
- Canada expresses concern over Xinjiang issue, China receives jolt
- Free Tibet activists show banner at Westminster Bridge, urge authorities to boycott Beijing Winter Olympics
- Hong Kong: Apple Daily announces closure days after police crackdown
- Ottawa, Beijing spar over China' treatment towards Uyghurs