According to reports, the target of the explosion was a police headquarters in police district 6 (PD6) of Kabul city.
The incident took place at around 9am Kabul time, the Interior Ministry's Nusrat Rahimi told Tolo News.
Eyewitnesses told the news portal that gunfire was heard after the car bomb attack, but Rahimi said there was no gunfight after the explosion.
The Taliban group has claimed responsibility for the incident.
- Somali army kills 16 al-Shabab militants in southern region
- Five soldiers killed in roadside explosion in Burkina Faso
- Yemen resilient and ‘unscathed’ in face of latest Gulf crisis
- Roadside bombing in Afghanistan's Zabul province leaves five people dead
- Pakistan: Blast at Karkhano checkpost in Peshawar leaves 10 hurt