Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 26 Jan 2023, 05:31 am Print
Representational image by US Coast Guard via Wikimedia Commons
London: Evil gangs are currently ordering dinghies online from China to ferry migrants across the Channel to the UK, media reports said on Wednesday.
The National Crime Agency has identified a handful of factories in Shandong province as a major source of boats landing on the south coast, reports The Sun.
The craft is being sold on Chinese online marketplace Alibaba.com for as little as £200, the newspaper reported.
The website says dinghies can be shipped anywhere in the world within a week — amid fears 2023 migrant crossings will hit 80,000.
It boasts small PVC dinghies for £200, 7.5ft fibreglass vessels for £700 to £900 and 25ft inflatable ribs for around £10,000, the newspaper reported.
An NCA source told The Sun: “There’s an ecosystem with companies providing the bulk of the boats and advertising them online.”
- Spate of missile launches triggers call for unity on Korean Peninsula
- Seventy people detained in Paris during protests against pension reform
- Two teachers stabbed by student in Canadian Province of Nova Scotia: Law Enforcement
- Rebooting memories of life before the nuclear devastation of Hiroshima
- Afghanistan: Chamber of Agriculture and Livestock seeks UN's support for wheat storage facilities