|Organization Name||:||Development Gateway (DG)|
|Location||:||Abidjan, Cote Divoire|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Program Coordinator, Cashew IN (Consultant)
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Start Date: October 2020
Rate: $300-$400 per day at full time equivalent (dependent on experience)
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: www.developmentgateway.org
Agriculture is a strategic focus for DG. We support public and private sector actors in collecting, analyzing, and using data in the agriculture sector. Our partners in this work include USDA, USAID, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Hewlett Foundation, and the Governments of Malawi, Senegal, Kenya, Nigeria, and Ghana. We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
DG’s projects include: (i) technical implementations of data management, visualization, and dissemination tools, (ii) data management and analysis services, and (iii) applied research on how data and technology influence development.
Description of Position
The five-year West Africa Cashew Project (PRO-Cashew) is funded by USDA and implemented by Cultivating New Frontiers in Agriculture (CNFA). It will focus on cashew producers in Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria. The PRO-Cashew project aims to improve the productivity and profitability of smallholder-owned cashew orchards, through renovation and rehabilitation (R&R) capacity building and in-kind grants that respond to the diverse needs of the cashew sector.
As a subcontractor to CNFA, Development Gateway (DG) will lead the establishment of a multi-country cashew data collection and analysis system (Cashew-IN) for West Africa. Cashew-IN development will take place over years 2-5 of the program, and will include customized sub-dashboards for each target country, that will meet policymaker, farmer, and private sector needs.
DG is seeking to recruit a Program Coordinator who will be responsible for coordinating the Cashew-IN dashboard development program, including managing stakeholder relationships and driving progress on the technical implementations.
In this full-time consultant role (initial contract is one year, with possibility to extend for an additional three years), you will manage partners and the in-country implementations of the program, support Cashew-IN innovation, lead assessments of systems and user needs, and facilitate workshops focused on data management. A wide degree of creativity, latitude, and responsibility is expected, along with domestic and international travel (if the public health situation permits). The Program Coordinator will be based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Applicants must have authorization to live and work in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Work You Will Do
Project Coordination and Implementation
• Work closely with farmers, traders, cashew associations, research institutes, the private sector, and government ministries/agencies to understand and assess agriculture data use challenges along the value chain and document technical needs.
• Collaborate with partners and technical staff to ensure that project milestones are met within USDA timelines, within budget, and to client satisfaction.
• Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USDA and PRO-Cashew guidelines;
• Work actively and collaboratively with governments, persuading and educating on the Cashew-IN tool. Represent PRO-Cashew, DG, CNFA, and USDA in stakeholder meetings. Foster and maintain positive working relationships with USDA, local authorities, and country partners.
Documentation and Training
• In each focus country, provide support for policymakers, farmers, and the private sector on how to create clear data management processes with the Cashew-IN tool.
• Facilitate training sessions with stakeholders and partners.
• Oversee Cashew-IN testing process and follow-up with the technical team.
• Regularly provide information and reports to the CNFA Chief of Party.
Education and Experience
• Education may be either a combination of 10 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree; or a Master’s degree. Candidates should have academic background in a field related to agriculture, economics, project management, or business administration.
• Fluency in French and English required.
• Must have experience in the agricultural sector, including engaging with one or more of the following: the private sector, government ministries, development agencies, and/or research institutes.
• Familiarity with key agriculture data sources (e.g. FAO CountryStat, Ministries of Agriculture, CGIAR, etc.) and data standards.
• 5+ years of project coordination experience.
• Proven record in the advanced use of communications tools, internet, email, social media, and teleconferencing.
• Experience working in the cashew sector preferred.
Skills and Qualifications
• You are proactive and have effective project management, presentation, and relationship building skills. Proven record in successful teamwork, innovation, and decision making skills.
• You have strong problem-solving skills and are known for your commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
• You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills are important.
• You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff, and can maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
• You're comfortable working with data using spreadsheets, simple databases, and/or statistical software packages.
• You use strong organizational skills to consistently meet deadlines and handle a broad and unpredictable workload.
• You can work effectively both autonomously and as a great teammate.
We're also looking for: Excellent written and verbal communication (in English and French) and customer interaction skills. Understanding of business relationships and concepts. Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time (if public health guidance on Covid-19 allows).
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter (including your preferred daily rate) to email@example.com. Please include “Cashew-IN Program Coordinator (Consultant)” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Email id: jobs(at)developmentgateway.org