|Organization Name||:||United Nations Convention To Combat Desertification (UNCCD)|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
VACANCY NUMBER: CCD/20/GS/INT&EXT/01
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 14 July 2020
POST TITLE AND LEVEL: Programme Assistant, G-5
DURATION: one year with possibility of extension
DUTY STATION: Bonn, Germany
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: Global Mechanism
INDICATIVE NET ANNUAL SALARY: EUR 37,167 net salary at step 1
APPOINTMENT LIMITED TO SERVICE WITH UNCCD
The objective of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is to combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification around the world, particularly in Africa, through effective action at all levels, supported by international cooperation and partnership arrangements with a view to contributing to the achievement of sustainable development in affected areas.
The Global Mechanism (GM) is a financial mechanism of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), mandated to assist countries in the mobilization of financial resources from the public and private sector for activities that prevent, control or reverse desertification, land degradation and drought.
More than two decades of implementation of the Convention since its adoption in 1994 have shown that viable, adequate and sustained financing for effectively combating desertification, land degradation and drought worldwide can only be achieved through a significant involvement of the private sector (i.e. investors, financial intermediaries, businesses, consumers, and civil society). In this connection, public development finance is expected to play a crucial catalytic and supplementary role as part of a whole range of enabling governmental and intergovernmental activities. Investments in the UNCCD help to facilitate policy reform, leverage large investments and initiate change at the national level
Under the overall supervision of the Managing Director of the Global Mechanism and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinators of GM’S Flagships, the incumbent is responsible for assisting in the coordination of programme planning for the organization and for providing administrative support to the unit staff to ensure the effective functioning of the GM. The incumbent performs the following specific duties:
• Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation of work for the GM.
• Reviews project documents for completeness and compliance with revenant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Monitors processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extension liaison with the Administration Services unit to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel and DSA arrangements, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
• Compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
• Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
• Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance, making arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.)including preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. preparation of TOR, consultancy requests, requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
• Performs any other job-related activities required to achieve the goals and objectives of the team, the Unit, the Programme or the secretariat.
• High school diploma or equivalent; Very good knowledge of modern office procedures; good knowledge of diverse Office Automation Packages (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation, or a related area preferably in the United Nations Common System or an international organization is required. Experience working with enterprise resource planning (ERP) or related administrative systems is required. Familiarity with UMOJA or similar business process system is an asset.
• For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and.efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis.
External candidates will be considered only when no suitable candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take up the appointment.
Submission of applications
All applicants are requested to complete a United Nations Personal History Form1. When completing the PHP, ensure ALL fields, ALL professional experience and contact information are completed and up to date. This information is the basis for the hiring manager to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position and to contact you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
All applications should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com with reference to CCD/20/GS/INT&EXT/01. PLEASE INDICATE THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.
No telephone calls will be returned. Applications will not be acknowledged; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months of the deadline should consider their application as unsuccessful.
UNCCD P-11 form in electronic fill-in .pdf OR .docx format available: https://www.unccd.int/about-us/secretariat/vacancies/applying-unccd
Job Email id: staffing(at)unccd.int