|Organization Name||:||The Freshwater Trust (TFT)|
|Location||:||Sacramento, CA, United States|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||10 May 2022, 04:07 am|
|Closing Date||:||02 Jun 2022, 12:00 am|
Application Deadline: Position Open Until Filled
Job Title: Environmental Scientist
Location: Sacramento, CA
Position Type: Full-time
Expected Start Date: May/June 2022
Who we are: The Freshwater Trust (TFT) is a non-profit leader in watershed analysis, restoration/ conservation program design, and implementation. Our team members are building tools and creating and testing new solutions that will help to create resiliency in our rivers. With a mission of preserving and restoring freshwater ecosystems, our approach is driven by science, data, and results (see our Core Values).
With headquarters in Portland, OR, TFT employs 45+ team members across Oregon, Idaho, Washington and California. We currently have three physical offices in Portland, Ashland, OR and Sacramento, CA. Our team members range in background and skillset; teams include philanthropy and fundraising, communications, science and analytics, restoration, legal, finance, and administrative and systems support. As the California programs and projects continue to expand, we are seeking an Environmental Scientist to work closely with the California team to support ongoing work.
Who you are: The Environmental Scientist has experience supporting technical teams and providing analysis and documentation to meet client needs. You enjoy research and analysis and have a “figure it out” working style. As a key California team member, your work would include the analysis and synthesis of a variety of technical and scientific topics related to protecting freshwater ecosystems. Topics include but are not limited to groundwater and surface water dynamics, as well as species uses of riverine, riparian and wetland ecosystems. Demonstrated ability in providing clear communication in verbal, written, and graphical forms is critical, and samples may be requested. The Environmental Scientist will report to the California Director and would work closely with the entire California team.
• Achieve a comprehensive understanding of TFT’s existing program goals, systems, and tools
• Prepare syntheses of contemporary scientific literature related to program topical areas, or update existing analyses, in support of internal water policy strategy and communications, and:
1. Provide standard technical analysis in support of report production and documentation, under deadline
2. Prepare technical tables and figures, and conduct QC of data and analysis as part of report preparation
• Support program implementation efforts related to water management and habitat restoration programs
• Attend public meetings and provide concise summaries of content and relevance to TFT programs
• As a supporting team member, prepare, coordinate and complete grant and client summary reports, implementation guidance, communications and grant support materials
• Support programs in other TFT offices as needed
• This position includes review of but not preparation of CEQA or NEPA documents.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• Commitment to continuous learning and effective communication of TFT goals and objectives
• Quick learner with the ability to adapt to new processes and contexts under deadlines
• Relational & collaborative: excel in building trust and finding common understanding between diverse stakeholders, and working with others to achieve multiple benefits
• Highly responsible with a strong sense of ethics; trustworthy, dependable, and passionate about the mission of TFT to ‘protect and restore freshwater ecosystems’
• Analytical thinker, able to integrate and distill the connection between the physical and biological environment in a fast-paced environment
• Strong time-management skills with ability to be flexible and responsive to changing priorities
• Ability to distill complex scientific or policy concepts for broad audiences
• Capacity to proactively juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities within a high-energy environment
• Strong proficiency in Word, Excel and basic analytical tools; experience with statistics, complex data visualization, or cost analysis a plus
• Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, natural resource management or policy, water resources or related field, master’s degree a plus
• 3+ years’ experience outside of academia or agencies
• Demonstrated experience in the research for, preparation, production, coordination, and review of scientific technical memos, and science policy reports.
• Strong working knowledge of freshwater ecosystems, including groundwater, water quality, agricultural BMPs and conservation actions
• Able to work in complex multi-disciplinary team environments with nominal supervision
• Familiarity with California watersheds, surface and groundwater policy
• Ability to work independently and safely in field or other remote conditions; occasional travel required.
Seeking Perseverant, Creative and Energetic Candidates Who:
• Exhibit professionalism, confidence, intellectual curiosity, and resilience.
• Are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
• Hold legal authority to work permanently in the US.
• Competitive salary based on experience.
• The Freshwater Trust believes in investing in our employees, their health, and future through our benefits offerings. Our total rewards package includes full health and dental coverage, automatic retirement employer contributions, commuter benefits and cell phone reimbursement. Because we are all in, we value getting out, and support our staff with 5 weeks of paid time off plus over 10 paid holidays per year. We also offer perks such as staff retreats, sabbatical for full-time staff after seven years, and professional development opportunities.
Supply the following three items in a single PDF: cover letter; resume; and 3 references here (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/3a7854f5ddce4f169b334b4a4a5a0ccc).
Interested candidates from historically underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. The Freshwater Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations. ADA accommodatio()ns will be provided upon request.