Paris; Scientists have warned that a new COVID-19 variant named IHU may have been detected in France.
It comes after 12 patients tested positive in the same region, and their tests showed "an atypical combination", reported Express Online.
According to reports, the variant has 46 mutations.
The index case had returned from travelling to Cameroon, suggesting to experts that it may have originated in the African country, the news portal reported.
The variant has been given the name B.1.640.2, reports Express Online.
The new variant emerged at a time when the world is battling Omicron.
- Monkeypox cases spike to 20 in Britain
- Sweden classifies monkeypox as disease dangerous to society
- Pollution responsible for nine million deaths in 2019, with little progress in four years: Study
- Israel cancels Covid-19 tests for inbound travelers
- Smokers who switch to e-cigarettes may adopt other healthy routines: Study