"We have a case that is now confirmed of this variant," Belgian Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke said during a media conference.
The new variant-B.1.1.52-was first detected in southern Africa.
This mutant variant has led to a surge in infections in South Africa and other countries in the southern part of the continent.
Meanwhile, the French government announced on Friday to immediately suspend flights coming from the southern parts of Africa following the detection of a new Covid-19 variant in South Africa.
In a statement published Friday by the prime minister's office, travellers from South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia and Eswatini, will not be able to enter French territory, regardless of their vaccination status.
Also, the French government advised people who plan to visit these countries to postpone their trips.
- Bangladesh witnessing another surge in COVID-19 cases, positivity rate touches 31 pct
- Pakistan witnessing fifth wave, 7,586 fresh COVID-19 cases recorded in past 24 hours
- COVID-19: Argentina reports first florona case
- Sri Lankan health authorities warn against Omicron
- US offers North Korea 60 mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine