Dhaka: Bangladesh, a country which is battered b COVID-19, registered 212 new deaths due to the virus in the past 24 hours, media reports said on Friday.
The total death toll due to the virus now stands at 20,467.
The caseload climbed to 1,240,115 after 13,862 people tested positive for the disease until 8 am Friday, according to the latest government data as quoted by bdnews24.
Dhaka registered the most daily deaths among the eight divisions, logging 65 fatalities, followed by Chattogram with 53 and Khulna with 36, reports the news portal.
Bangladesh has been witnessing a surge in cases over the past several weeks.
- COVID-19: Australia to end mandatory isolation
- Time to address mental health issues in the workplace, UN agencies urge
- Build momentum to ‘finish the job’ and end COVID-19 pandemic, Guterres urges
- Noncommunicable diseases now ‘top killers globally’ – UN health agency report
- Seven Ebola cases, one death confirmed in Uganda, WHO scales up response