Los Angeles: Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise on Wednesday thanked his fans for making his latest release "Top Gun: Maverick" earn a historic opening weekend.
"Thank you to everyone who saw #TopGun: Maverick and helped make it a historic opening weekend," he tweeted.
Thank you to everyone who saw #TopGun: Maverick and helped make it a historic opening weekend.— Tom Cruise (@TomCruise) May 31, 2022
'Top Gun: Maverick', the legacy sequel to Tom Cruise’s 1986 classic 'Top Gun' has taken off with a strong start, earning a $250 million-plus opening weekend worldwide.
It has set the record for the highest opening for a film during Memorial Day weekend in the US. When compared to Tom Cruise’s previous release 'Mission Impossible: Fallout', the film has seen a nearly 28 per cent increase in collections becoming Tom’s highest opening grosser until date.
Furthermore, for Paramount Films, 'Top Gun: Maverick' ranks as the second-highest live-action global opening weekend for the studio of all-time behind 2014’s 'Transformers: Age of Extinction'.
- Grammy winning rapper Coolio dies at 59, celebrities pay tributes
- Oscar winning actress Louise Fletcher dies
- TIFF: ‘Maya and the Wave’ personifies Brazilian surfer's resilience in a man's world
- TIFF: Anthony Shim’s ‘Riceboy Sleeps’ awarded TIFF Platform Prize
- TIFF: 'The Swimmers' is a true, moving tale of two young refugee sisters from Syria