Kunduz: At least 50 people were killed as a suicide bomber targeted a mosuqe during Friday prayer in Afghanistan's Kunduz region on Friday, media reports said.
Images which have gone viral on social media showed bodies and debris inside the mosque.
The mosque is reportedly used by Shia Muslim community.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the blast.
Sunni Muslim extremists, including the local Islamic State (IS) group, have targeted the Shia community because they consider them to be heretics, BBC reported.
Interestingly, IS-K, the Afghan regional affiliate of IS that is violently opposed to the Taliban, recently carried out several blasts in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan Conflict: Islamic State terror group claims responsibility for Kandahar mosque blasts
- Afghanistan Conflict: Blast hits Shia mosque in Kandahar, 16 die
- Russian security official warns illegal arms trade may skyrocket due to Afghan quandary
- Afghanistan: US,UK governments ask citizens to stay away from Serena hotel in Kabul
- Pakistan: Four terrorists killed by security forces in Balochistan