Photo Courtesy: Wikimedia Commons
At least four people, including two children, died and one person was critically injured in a stabbing incident in Far Rockaway region of New York City on Sunday, police said.
Two police officers were injured responding to the home, where a fire also broke out, and the suspect is dead, reported CNN.
Police said the deceased persons were identified as an 11-year-old girl, 12-year-old boy, 44-year-old woman and man in his 30s.
They are believed to be members of the same family.
Police received a 911 call shortly after 5 a.m. from a young female caller, who said her cousin was killing her family members, New York City Police Department Chief Jeffrey Maddrey was quoted as saying by CNN.
The officers responded to a residential block in Queens, where they pulled into a driveway and saw a man walking out with luggage, the police chief was quoted as saying by the American news channel.
The man drew a kitchen steak knife on the officers, stabbing one in the neck and chest, and striking the other in the head, the chief added. One of the officers drew his weapon and fired, killing the suspect, Maddrey said.
Joseph Kenny, NYPD Chief of Detectives was quoted as saying by CNN that the suspect was identified as a 38-year-old Bronx resident.
Far Rockaway region is a neighbourhood in the eastern part of the Rockaway peninsula in the New York City borough of Queens.
- Sri Lankan government introduces pilot project of adding AI into school
- Security Council reiterates call for immediate and safe aid delivery to Gaza amid ongoing conflict with Israel
- Shehbaz Sharif elected as Pakistan PM for second time, vows to fight country's debt crisis
- UN chief Antonio Guterres appeals for greater support for small islands fighting climate change
- Joe Biden administration orders probe into security risks of Chinese-made cars