Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 02 Feb 2023, 09:31 pm Print
Twitter video grab
Washington: The US government is trying to track a suspected Chinese high-altitude surveillance balloon over the continental United States, media reports said on Friday.
Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder said in a statement: " The United States Government has detected and is tracking a high altitude surveillance balloon that is over the continental United States right now."
" The U.S. government, to include NORAD, continues to track and monitor it closely. The balloon is currently traveling at an altitude well above commercial air traffic and does not present a military or physical threat to people on the ground. Instances of this kind of balloon activity have been observed previously over the past several years," the spokesperson said.
" Once the balloon was detected, the U.S. government acted immediately to protect against the collection of sensitive information," read the statement.
Speaking on background, a senior US defense official was quoted as saying by CNN senior military officials had advised President Joe Biden not to shoot it down due to fear the debris could pose a safety threat to people on the ground.
“We are confident that this high-altitude surveillance balloon belongs to the [People’s Republic of China],” the senior defense official said. “Instances of this activity have been observed over the past several years, including prior to this administration.”
- Spate of missile launches triggers call for unity on Korean Peninsula
- Seventy people detained in Paris during protests against pension reform
- Two teachers stabbed by student in Canadian Province of Nova Scotia: Law Enforcement
- Rebooting memories of life before the nuclear devastation of Hiroshima
- Afghanistan: Chamber of Agriculture and Livestock seeks UN's support for wheat storage facilities