Washington: An 80-year-old man was arrested by the police after he illegally parked on the grounds of the US Capitol in Washington and three guns were found from his possession.
The man was identified as Tony H. Payne of Tunnel Hill, Georgia.
"USCP Officers arrested the driver after he admitted to having guns in the vehicle-- a small white van.Weapons are banned from Capitol Grounds, yet dozens of people are arrested each year for violating the law," the US Capitol Police said in a statement.
Two other people, including a woman, were detained but not arrested.
"The driver, another man, and a woman were all detained during the search. Officers found two handguns and a shotgun inside the van," police said.
"The individuals told our investigators they were here to deliver documents to the U.S. Supreme Court.A pipe and containers were also found in the van, so the USCP Hazardous Incident Response Division did a thorough search and cleared the van," police said.
Tony H. Payne was charged with Unregistered Firearm, Unregistered Ammunition, and Carrying a Pistol without a License.
"The woman and the other man, who were briefly detained, were not arrested," police said.
- Philippines 'vigilantly monitors' alleged harassment by China in South China Sea
- ‘Equal rights cannot wait’ on International Day of Women in Multilateralism
- Latin America, Caribbean ‘must step up’ to tackle rising hunger: FAO
- Closure of Moscow Helsinki Group, ‘yet another blow to human rights’ in Russia: OHCHR
- Protesting police officers besiege Haiti's PM at airport: Reports