Image: Wallpaper Cave
Damascus/UNI/Xinhua: Five Syrian soldiers were killed and 20 others wounded when the Islamic State militants targeted their military bus in eastern Syria overnight Sunday, the media reported on Monday.
A missile attack targeted the bus near an oil station in the Syrian desert region between Homs and Deir al-Zour provinces in Syria, said state news agency SANA, citing a military source.
It said that the IS militants have repeatedly carried out such attacks from the area that is controlled by the US forces in the al-Tanf region.
Since 2019, a total of 1,625 government forces and allied fighters have been killed by IS ambushes in the desert region.
The IS influence has largely decreased following its massive defeat in Syria. However, the terror-designated group still frequently carries out attacks in the desert region.
- Sri Lankan government introduces pilot project of adding AI into school
- Security Council reiterates call for immediate and safe aid delivery to Gaza amid ongoing conflict with Israel
- Shehbaz Sharif elected as Pakistan PM for second time, vows to fight country's debt crisis
- UN chief Antonio Guterres appeals for greater support for small islands fighting climate change
- Joe Biden administration orders probe into security risks of Chinese-made cars