|Organization Name||:||Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)|
|Location||:||Boulder, Remote, United States|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||05 Feb 2023, 04:56 am|
|Closing Date||:||04 Mar 2023, 12:00 am|
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Location: Preference for candidates in the Mountain Time Zone, although candidates from other time zones will be considered.
The Financial Analyst, OCS (Office of the Chief Scientist) is a key staff member in the operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for the Office of the Chief Scientist. Further, this role will provide support to the finance staff on the Enterprise Operations team, as needed. Primary responsibilities for the Financial Analyst include submitting invoices for payment and systematically gathering, analyzing, reporting on income and expense data, pulling together data from multiple sources, building spreadsheets, making charts, and helping spot variances and issues in budget management, grant reporting and other program-wide issues and systems. This position will work closely with Mission Finance and Mission staff to build, track, and analyze budgets and fundraising proposals, and will help organize and present moderately complex financial data for reporting and decision-making.
The Financial Analyst will report to the Financial Manager, Office of the Chief Scientist, and work with staff across departments to insure the timely and accurate execution of financial activities, including serving as a key resource to generate reports using financial systems. This position will be a member of the Mission Finance team within the Enterprise Operations Department, partnering with other Mission Finance staff and staff of the Finance and Development Departments, as well as the Office of the Chief Scientist.
• Execute day-to-day financial processes and support financial planning and reporting activities on behalf of the Office of the Chief Scientist
• Using accounting system data, assist with monthly forecasting and produce monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; update projections; and identify, investigate, analyze, and explain variances at the grant and budget levels for income and expense line items.
• Assist Mission Finance and Mission staff in the development of new budget proposals.
• Assist with other organizational and program-specific financial and operational processes, including resolving queries on accounts payable, revenue projections, reviewing and fixing coding issues, drafting grant financial reports for funders, and other matters.
• Generate helpful reports for mission teams by utilizing relevant financial systems.
• Manage one or more grants, supporting work of Office of the Chief Scientist, as applicable.
• Ensure proper set up of new grants in financial systems and monitor grant spending against budget.
• Submit and code program invoices, cross-checking them against service agreements, for submission for payment, as applicable.
• Facilitate contract preparation and communication with consultants, as applicable.
• Coordinate the review, approval and submission process for new service and purchasing agreements, as applicable.
• Participate in departmental meetings and trainings with both Enterprise Operations and Office of the Chief Scientist.
• Participate in financial process improvement initiatives across the organization.
• Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that support decision-making on strategic initiatives.
• Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
• Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
• 3+ years of relevant experience in a business or nonprofit setting with a Bachelor’s degree required, with a preference for a Bachelor’s degree in business management, finance, or accounting preferred. Additional experience in finance or accounting may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
• Finance, foundations and private donor, or accounting experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
• Strong organization, time management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
• Experience with reporting for government grants is preferred.
• Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and reporting software packages is preferred.
• Detail-oriented with the ability to work with financial data, spot trends, and ensure accuracy.
• A high degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel, including the ability to understand and develop formulas, charts, and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills with the ability to effectively liaise with diverse colleagues across time zones.
• Demonstrated ability to work well collaboratively as well as independently.
• Proactive with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced, multitasking style with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 65,000 - 72,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Apply at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/financial-analyst-ocs