File image by kian zhang on Unsplash
Beijing: Beijing recorded the highest number of COVID-19 cases in the last 18 months just ahead of the start of the Winter Olympics here.
After 20 more cases were reported in the capital, officials announced that some local areas had been locked down with residents being tested, reports BBC.
Separately, organisers of the Olympics reported 34 new infections within the event's "closed-loop" bubble, the British media reported.
Officials told the news channel it included 13 athletes or officials arriving at the airport.
An athlete testing positive will need to remain in isolation and will only be allowed to compete after getting two negative test results in 24 hours.
The Chinese mainland on Saturday recorded 54 locally transmitted Covid-19 cases, 17 more than the previous day, data from the National Health Commission showed Sunday.
- WHO alerts low back pain cases are expected to rise to an estimated 843 million by 2050,releases first-ever guidelines on managing it
- China reports no new infectious diseases
- Climate change risks upending global fight against malaria: WHO
- Harvard Medical School scientists find the reason behind people unable to stop itching
- China experiencing spike in children suffering from respiratory illnesses