Washington/Xinhua: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Thursday approved Gilead Sciences' antiviral drug Veklury (remdesivir) as a treatment for COVID-19.
Previously authorized by the FDA for emergency use to treat COVID-19, Veklury is now the first and only approved COVID-19 treatment in the United States, said Gilead in a statement.
Veklury is indicated for adults and pediatric patients (12 years of age and older and weighing at least 40 kg) for the treatment of COVID-19 requiring hospitalization, Gilead said.
Clinical trials show Veklury shortened time to recovery by five days in hospitalized COVID-19 patients, according to the company.
- Bangladesh: 20 die with Covid-19 within a day, 2,273 new cases registered
- Global HIV toll likely to be far higher owing to COVID-19, warns UNAIDS
- Bangladesh: Covid-19 kills 37 in a day as death toll crosses 6,500
- Bangladesh: Covid-19 deaths near 6,500 as 39 die within 24 hours
- Turkey expects to start coronavirus vaccination in December