Canberra/UNI/Sputnik: Australia is awaiting a response from China on the recent incident involving a Chinese vessel pointing a military grade laser at an Australian surveillance aircraft, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Monday.
According to the Australian Department of Defence, the incident occurred last Thursday off Northern Australia when one of two Chinese warships sailing in the area allegedly illuminated a P-8A Poseidon aircraft belonging to the Australian air force.
The department decried the incident as "unprofessional and unsafe military conduct."
The incident occurred in the Australian exclusive economic zone, the minister stressed, branding it as "an act of intimidation and bullying."
- Russia to quit International Space Station post 2024
- China planning to build military base in Indian Ocean region in Madagascar
- Vladimir Putin makes first international trip post Ukraine-Russia war
- Chinese aggression in South China Sea: Japan, Australia increasing military budgets
- Safer roads, a global development challenge for all: Senior UN official