Washington/Sputnik: Orlando police on Sunday used tear gas on George Floyd protesters after demonstrators threw rocks and bottles at the law enforcement officers.
"Unfortunately, because demonstrators are throwing rocks, bottles and construction equipment, police had to deploy tear gas. Currently, I-4 [interstate highway] is closed between Ivanhoe & Amelia Ave," the police tweeted.
Police across the United States often turn to tear gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray amid the ongoing anti-racism demonstrations.
Florida’s Orange County, where Orlando is located, has imposed an overnight curfew in light of the protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, an African-American man, in Minneapolis police custody.
- Hong Kong: China's new agency to monitor national security law implementation
- China is using 'debt-plomacy' against Muslim nations to buy its silence on Uyghurs: Report
- Uyghur rights group asks UN to immediately strip China of its participatory status at UNHRC
- Lahore Court denies bail to Geo Media Group Editor-in-Chief Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman, protests erupt
- UN chief underscores need for reconciliation 25 years after Srebrenica genocide