Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 06 Feb 2023, 03:59 am Print

UNI
Ankara: At least 284 people died as a magnitude 7.4 earthquake hit Turkey's Gaziantep city region and caused severe damage in neighbouring Syria as well.
Officials told Daily Sabah 284 people were killed and 2,323 injured in the provinces of Malatya, Şanlıurfa, Osmaniye and Diyarbakır, although the toll threatened to climb much higher because of the heavy damage.
Türkiye’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said the 7.4 magnitude quake struck at 4.17 a.m. (1:17 a.m. GMT) and was centered in the Pazarcık district, the newspaper reported.
The historic fortress of Gaziantep, located in the southern Turkish province of Gaziantep, collapsed on Monday as a result of an earthquake, Turkish newspaper Posta reported.
In #Sanliurfa the moment a building collapsed recorded by mobile phone hours after 7.8 #earthquake hits Turkey. #deprem pic.twitter.com/YDc8DH9lbn
— JournoTurk (@journoturk) February 6, 2023
Gaziantep Castle was first built as a watchtower in the Roman period in II-IV centuries A.D.
Later, it was expanded and took the current circle form in the VI century A.D (527-565 A.D) during the period of Byzantine Emperor Justinianus.
The castle consists of 12 towers, while its circumference reaches 1200 meters (3,937 feet).
The earthquake wreaked equal havoc in Syria where at least 386 people have died so far.
According to media reports, Aleppo, Hama, Latakia and Tartus are badly hit regions in the country.
Rescue operations are currently going on in both nations.
- New releases from OpenAI to be delayed, says Sam Altman on X amid Ghibli viral trend
- China carries out major war games around Taiwan, escalates tension in region
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at earthquake aid convoy, no causalty
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at Chinese earthquake aid convoy after it fails to stop
- Elon Musk announces scammer who stole personal information of 400K Americans to be arrested