Aryna Sabalenka defeats Elena Rybakina to lift Australian Open after thrilling final
Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 28 Jan 2023, 07:45 am Print
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Melbourne: Belarusian-born Aryna Sabalenka defeated Elena Rybakina in the final clash to lift the Australian Open Women's singles title here on Saturday.
Sabalenka beat her opponent by 4-6 6-3 6-4 in a three-set clash.
She became the first player to represent a neutral flag to win the match.
Interestingly, Australian Open organizer Tennis Australia required Russian and Belarusian players to compete as neutrals amid the ongoing Ukraine conflict.
Despite being defeated in the first set, Aryna Sabalenka came from behind to win the clash.
- Spate of missile launches triggers call for unity on Korean Peninsula
- Seventy people detained in Paris during protests against pension reform
- Two teachers stabbed by student in Canadian Province of Nova Scotia: Law Enforcement
- Rebooting memories of life before the nuclear devastation of Hiroshima
- Afghanistan: Chamber of Agriculture and Livestock seeks UN's support for wheat storage facilities