The powerful landslide took place on Friday morning. Photo: twitter.com/basanta58_raj
Kathmandu: At least 16 people were killed and 40 others missing after a powerful landslide struck a village in Nepal on Friday.
The calamity took place in Sindhupalchok district's Lama Tole village, reports said.
Authorities recovered the bodies as rescuers dug through the mud.
Helicopters were pressed into service as search and rescue operations were carried out by a joint team of personnel from the army, police and the armed police forces.
According to local Deputy Superintendent of Police Madhav Prasad Kafle, at least 37 houses were destroyed.
- Zhenhua data leak: Collection of info on New Zealanders by Chinese firm may hit nation's security, warns Kiwi Minister
- Bolster fragile world to emerge stronger, UN chief urges, marking Peace Day
- Uzbekistan to resume int'l tourism next month
- Gunmen kill 2 senior police officers in NW Nigeria attack
- Former Los Alamos National Laboratory employee sentenced to probation for making false statements about being employed by China