|Organization Name||:||The United Nations University (UNU)|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
POSITION: Personnel Service Agreement (PSA)
REFERENCE NO.: 2020/UNU/WIDER/PSA/WD/53
LOCATION: Helsinki, Finland
Timezone: UTC +3
CLOSING DATE: Open until position is filled
United Nations University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is open access. More information on UNU-WIDER’s current work programme is available at www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong web and systems development skills to join the institute’s ICT Team.
Under the supervision of the Team Lead-Information Systems Associate the incumbent will be required to perform the following functions, based on relevant work experience:
• Write code for both the back-end and front-end of the institute’s websites
• Collaborate with team members on major development projects
• Work closely with the it focal point and communications team in site planning, technical layout, selection, and integration of web applications
• Monitor and implement security patches on all the institute’s websites
• Assist in the maintenance, upgrade, or enhancement of existing websites; carry out needs assessment for new web projects
• Perform other duties as required
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent
• Completion of relevant secondary education
• Experience in web best practices, responsive design, and current techniques
• Experience working in git version control and the command line
• Experience in drupal
• Knowledge of civicrm is an advantage
• Self-motivated, critical thinker and the ability to thrive in a small team environment
• Strong client-services orientation with excellent communication skills to non-technical staff
• Fluency in both oral and written english; knowledge of other official un languages would be an asset
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and a high level of resilience
• Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
• Comfort with collaboration across functional borders
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
This is employment under a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract. Monthly net remuneration of EUR 2,821.66 to EUR 3,508.93 depending on the level of completed education and prior experience.
This is a locally-recruited position and no relocation allowance applies.
The position is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month (a total of 30 days of paid annual leave), and private health insurance coverage.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-WIDER, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form (https://www2.wider.unu.edu/crm/content/va-web-development-wd-psa) and must upload the following:
• a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
• a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form (http://unu.edu/about/unu-services/hr/applying-for-a-position#files); please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
• an up-to-date CV
• a copy of the highest educational degree obtained.
Related files: https://i.unu.edu/media/unu.edu/hr/102308/59_VA_PSA_WIDER_Web-Developer.pdf