|Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
|01 Dec 2023, 05:24 am
|18 Dec 2023, 12:00 am
Contract Type: National contract
Expires: 18 Dec 2023
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading protection agency with a mandate to protect, advocate and promote durable solutions for displacement affected populations.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine since 2014, currently DRC employs over 400 staff in Ukraine and will continue significant scale-up in 2023 to implement emergency response in the Protection, Livelihoods, Shelter/NFIs and Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding (humanitarian mine action) sectors, using direct interventions, support to duty bearers and civil society organizations (CSOs), and partnerships with CSOs. DRC will continue and adapt its durable solutions portfolio to the evolving context.
DRC is currently looking for a Protection Assistant for its activities in Mykolaiv.
This position will be supervised by the Protection Officer and line managed by the Protection Team Leader.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Protection officer, the Protection Assistant will implement quality protection monitoring activities, deliver information sessions and key messaging, identify and support individuals at risk as well as conduct community-based protection activities. S/he will work closely with communities, civil society organizations (CSOs), and government services to identify vulnerable individuals in need of support, conduct service mapping, and share information about services available. S/he will be based in Mykolaiv DRC office, with field activities in Mykolaivska and Khersonska oblasts.
• Implement programme activities related to protection monitoring activities
• Carry out service mapping to identify the available services in the community. Build and maintain relationships with relevant governmental and non-governmental service providers to support safe referrals.
• Identify and communicate with Protection Officer on protection risks and monitoring needs in designated areas. Ensure to collect both quantitative and qualitative information and data, through using the different protection monitoring tools.
• Organize and conduct outreach activities, including dissemination of key messages, distribution of IEC materials, and conduction of information sessions, tailored to needs identified through protection monitoring
• Hold regular meetings with community-based groups/networks and assist in the development of ‘community action plans’ to address protection concerns. Build the capacity of local actors and key community members on key topics, such as protection mainstreaming and safe referrals.
• Contribute to the quality of DRC’s community-based approach by effectively identifying and coordinating with community stakeholders, key informants and community members.
• Mobilize and build strong rapport with communities through consistent engagement with community-based structures and adhering to dignified, culturally sensitive approaches. Support community-based structures by facilitating meaningful group dialogue and mentoring participants to self-identify protection concerns that affect their communities.
• Coordinate with other departments in DRC to facilitate referrals and information sharing.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the Protection Team Leader and/or Protection Manager, relevant to the achievement of protection objectives
DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process;
• Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback;
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation;
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly;
• Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Required experience and competencies:
• Completion of secondary school, or relevant level of experience required. University study preferred.
• Candidates without a background working with vulnerable groups or social work but an interest in the area, are encouraged to apply as on the job training will be provided.
• Comfortable in speaking about sensitive topics and working with people in distress.
• Familiarity with social work is preferred but not required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with vulnerable individuals, staff members, and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple responsibilities.
• Strong sense of personal integrity and understanding of confidentiality and ethics.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems.
• Good English language skills preferred.
• Ukrainian language skills required.
• Contract length: 3 month renewable after satisfactory probation period.
• Level: I non Manager
• Designation of Duty Station: Mykolaiv - Full time based
• Start date: As soon as possible.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages in English).
Applications are open until 18th December 2023
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
We reserve the right to conduct further interviews before the deadline for submission of applications.
Apply at: https://job.drc.ngo/jobs/job?id=169686