|Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP)
|East Africa, Regional / Global
|15 Nov 2022, 03:59 am
|12 Dec 2022, 12:00 am
Location: East Africa
Application Deadline: 15 December, 2022 at 11:59 P.M. (CET)
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
OCCRP is seeking to hire an East Africa Regional Editor to join their team of cross-border investigative journalists and editors. The editor will be expected to commission, manage, and help produce high-quality investigations that have a real-world impact and directly address the scourge of organized crime and corruption on the continent. Critically, the person should be familiar with the high standards of OCCRP. The regional editor will be located in East Africa and be a citizen of that region. They will also liaise closely with the rest of OCCRP’s Africa team, as well as OCCRP editors and journalists around the world. This position can be fashioned as a one-year fellowship.
Team: Africa team
• Identifying, commissioning, and managing stories.
• Working closely with rest of the Africa team.
• Good collaborative skills and the ability to work as a team player with multiple partner centers.
• Cultivate new sources and guide journalists towards the successful completion of their stories.
• Produce often intricate stories to a tight deadline.
• Seek out and foster new partnerships to further investigative journalism in the region.
• Identify and pursue stories that will be impactful and result in accountability.
• Proven ability at producing high quality, impactful and original investigations
• An eye for detail and ability to edit meticulously
• A strong regional network of contacts, including among journalists, researchers and sources
• Ability to generate story ideas across the region
• Able to write a compelling narrative from complex investigative material
• Proficient in a combination of either English, French or Portuguese
• Ability to propose, commission and manage stories to a successful conclusion
• Works well under pressure
• Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team
• The ideal candidate would have experience as an investigative journalist for at least five years.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to email@example.com
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance to complete any step of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Email id: jobs(at)occrp.org