|Organization Name||:||The United Nations University (UNU)|
|Location||:||Nyland, Helsinki, Finland|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||05 Dec 2021, 04:44 am|
|Closing Date||:||30 Dec 2021, 12:00 am|
About United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU's work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals' full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is one of 14 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system. UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme are available at www.wider.unu.edu.
Under the overall supervision of the Finance and Administration Team Lead, the Administration Team Assistant will perform the following duties:
1. Ensures the provision of front-desk services focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Maintains at all times a professional image as the frontline representative of the office;
• Screens visitors entering the UNU-WIDER’s Helsinki premises; assists visitors by providing directions and accurate information;
• Receives phone calls to the general WIDER line, and responds to routine enquiries. Re-routes calls to the appropriate WIDER personnel;
• Receives and records incoming/outgoing mail and forwards mail to appropriate WIDER personnel;
• Receives deliveries and performs package and other security-related inspections, as directed; and
• Coordinates the sending and receiving of courier services.
2. Provides administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Provides general office support services to help ensure the smooth functioning of UNU-WIDER;
• Performs a variety of administrative duties, including preparing and/or processing of administrative requests/documents;
• Confirms meeting room reservations, assists with meeting room set-up, and supports the catering of meetings and events;
• Assists personnel with the performance of basic office functions (e.g. use of the multi-functional copiers);
• Supports Staff Welfare Fund (SWF) with the ordering of kitchen products and services;
• Prepares routine correspondence upon request;
• Extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources;
• Daily logistical support to facilitate office functioning; and
• Any other clerical support duties as assigned by the office management.
3. Provides Safety and Security support focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Provides information and assistance to all UNU-WIDER visitors and employees with a client service approach;
• Receives, issues, and accounts for access cards to personnel and visitors issued to the UNU-WIDER office;
• Vets all visitors to UNU-WIDER premises to ensure authorized movement;
• Monitors door access and CCTV activity, reporting on malfunctions or irregularities;
• Maintains alertness for any potential or actual breaches of security and any disturbances or unusual activity reporting these incidents to the supervisor immediately;
• Reports unsafe and hazardous conditions to the UNU-WIDER supervisor that require immediate corrective action by the building maintenance, landlord or other personnel;
• Reports all security, fire, and safety violations to the UNU-WIDER supervisor;
• In the event of emergencies, alerts the local emergency unit and appropriate personnel;
• Assists in evacuating all occupants from buildings and other properties and assists in any other emergency response elements in the event of emergency, including the preparation of a log of events during emergency situations; and
• Summons medical assistance (i.e. calling ambulance services) for persons who are ill or injured in UNU-WIDER premises.
4. Updates information on WIDER personnel and contacts focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Collects and updates staff information, ensuring all data and information is correct and accurate; and
• Updates the General Directory (GD) and telephone lists of International Organizations, Embassies, and NGOs and other important contacts.
5. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators
• Timely and quality delivery of reception services
• Quality and level of engagement with UNU-WIDER personnel and visitors
• Timely, complete and accurate documentation
• Information is easily available, and databases are up to date
• Inclusion - Take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity.
• Integrity - Act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards.
• Humility - Demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others.
• Humanity - Act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet.
• Connect and Collaborate - Build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
• Analyse and Plan - Seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
• Deliver Results with Positive Impact - Hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
• Learn and Develop - Pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
• Adapt and Innovate - Demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
• Completion of secondary school education
• At least two (2) years of relevant work experience;
• Working knowledge and experience in the use of MS Office such as Excel, and Word;
• Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience;
• Strong ability to establish priorities, multitask, and work within tight timelines;
• Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
• Experience in the handling of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems or other web-based management systems is considered an asset; and
• Knowledge of UN systems is an advantage.
• Excellent communication skills with fluency in both oral and written English.
• Knowledge of other United Nations official languages and Finnish is an asset.
The successful candidate will be employed under a local PSA contract and no relocation allowances apply. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
The duration of the initial contract is 1 year. This is Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
Expected start date: As soon as possible
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
• Apply via the apply link;
• fill out the UNU P11 form (https://i.unu.edu/media/unu.edu/page/24952/UNU-P11-PHP-Personal-History-Form-FINAL.docx) (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
• provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
• answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework (https://i.unu.edu/media/unu.edu/page/24952/Values-and-Behaviours-Framework_Final.pdf) for more information.
Application Deadline: 19 December 2021
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply at: https://careers.unu.edu/o/administrative-assistant/c/new