|Organization Name||:||Development Gateway (DG)|
|Location||:||Regional / Global|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||05 Sep 2021, 05:12 am|
|Closing Date||:||01 Oct 2021, 12:00 am|
Development Gateway Job Description: Tobacco Control Research Coordinator (Consultant)
The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonproft organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development. We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
This consultancy will be working within a three-year DG program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Tobacco Control Data Initiative (TCDI), which will be implemented in up to eight African countries. The purpose of the program is to understand the respective countries’ tobacco data needs, identify existing data and research, confrm gaps in available tobacco data and research, collect new data to fll those gaps, and develop an online resource to enable policy makers to use essential data to inform policy. The frst TCDI country portal can be viewed at southafrica.tobaccocontroldata.org.
The Elevator Pitch
The TCDI Tobacco Control Research Coordinator is responsible for leading work to identify and address tobacco control data gaps at the national level for each of the identifed TCDI countries. The Coordinator is responsible for contracting and managing local data collection frms responsible for collecting priority tobacco data. The Research Coordinator will also manage the workload of a team of data analysts who are identifying and reviewing research related to stakeholders’ tobacco control research needs.
The Work You Get To Do
Management of the Data Team Workload (50%)
• Manage workstream and coordinate priorities of the TCDI data team by monitoring the status of multiple research initiatives and leading weekly meetings
• Monitor work quality of up to 5 - 7 data analysts who are consolidating research on tobacco control
• Review and provide feedback on secondary research material and website mock-ups
Research and Survey Design (20%)
• Design and provide oversight for data collection methodologies in identifed target countries, in collaboration with key partners
• Develop and implement data collection guidelines that take into account cultural contexts, logistical limitations, and best practices among data collection methodologies of sensitive health information
• Write survey questions and validate them with local partners
Data Collection Management and Implementation (20%)
• Manage relationships with local research partners and oversee quality of deliverables
• Ensure that research is carried out on time, on budget, and according to stipulated methodologies
• Travel as necessary to priority countries to supervise data collection activities and participate in relevant tobacco control stakeholders meetings
Documentation and Training (10%)
• Document research fndings, partner discussions, and other relevant documentation
• Conduct training as needed related to best practices for data collection
Your Education and Experience
• 5+ years of direct technical and management experience with a Master’s degree or PhD
• Signifcant experience required in managing research projects, primary and secondary data collection, data analysis, quality assurance processes, and survey design.
• Work experience required outside the U.S. and Europe, with a strong preference for experience working in sub-Saharan Africa
• Experience working in the health sector required, with a preference toward experience with tobacco control research.
• Must have experience identifying, contracting, and managing globally-situated data collection frms and ensuring high-quality outputs are successfully delivered.
• Familiarity with statistics (e.g. power calculations to determine sample size) and statistics software (e.g. STATA, R, SPSS, etc.)
• Experience engaging with ministries of health, civil society organizations, the private sector and/or other high-level stakeholders
• Fluency in written and spoken English required. Additional languages, particularly French, are a plus
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
• You are comfortable working independently and with remote teams. You are a self-starter who can manage a shifting workload and achieve project milestones with limited oversight or direction
• You are committed to continuous improvement and are open to learning new skills and technical platforms
• You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staf and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team
• You can work efectively both autonomously and as a great teammate, infuencing others' attitudes and behaviors through example
Additional Role Details
The initial term of this consultancy will be 18 months, with a projected annual time commitment of approximately 70% of full time. An option to extend beyond this term is a possibility based upon performance and organizational needs. This position does not include benefts, but ofers competitive pay based on location. The projected pay range is between $35-$50/hour USD, commensurate with experience and location.
This consultancy is entirely remote, and a stable internet connection is required. Your work schedule is fexible, although the role expectation is that your work hours overlap with 8 AM - 12 PM Washington, DC time Monday through Friday for remote meetings. There is also some expectation for international travel - with a maximum of 30% travel in sub-Saharan Africa. Current health and pandemic conditions and risks are evaluated carefully before any travel is approved by DG.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Application for Tobacco Research Coordinator (Consultant)” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Email id: jobs(at)developmentgateway.org