|Organization Name||:||Radio Free Asia|
|Location||:||Washington DC, US; Hong Kong; or Taipei, Taiwan|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||20 Jul 2021, 06:29 am|
|Closing Date||:||15 Aug 2021, 12:00 am|
Global Mandarin is a new digital media platform by Radio Free Asia that aims to inform and engage with young Mandarin-speaking audiences around the world. As it begins delivering independent information that presents various perspectives on subjects important to its audiences, Global Mandarin is currently seeking an experienced and creative Data Editor to generate data reportage for the wainao.me website. This position will be based in either Washington, DC; Hong Kong; or Taipei.
• Working with the Wainao team to shape, pitch, and develop data-oriented story ideas.
• Identifying and soliciting freelance data reporters and visual journalists to join Global Mandarin’s contributor network.
• Commissioning stories from freelance contributors.
• Researching and producing original data reportage and components of special reports.
• Conceiving and executing data-oriented Wainao’s special reports.
• Working with the editorial team to plan annual reporting schedules and fit data reporting into Wainao’s editorial calendar.
• Working with the Director to develop a strong data reporting and visualization component that drives Wainao’s innovative storytelling.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field.
• Minimum three years’ experience in data reporting or editing in a newsroom setting.
• Desire to help grow a new area of reporting with a talented and innovative team.
• Demonstrated ability in crunching data and distilling takeaways from analysis into compelling visuals.
• Excellent news judgment and an expansive understanding of mobile-first experience and design.
• Ability to work on multiple stories simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
• Ability to build freelancer networks and train entry-level reporters.
• Strong computer skills along with deep knowledge of Illustrator and the Adobe Suite.
• Familiarity with data reporting and mapping tools such as SQL, Python and QGIS.
• Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with a remote team that is in different time zones. Ability to attend meetings and work with team members remotely.
• Fluency in Mandarin and proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply:
Submit a web portfolio of your strongest work along with a cover letter and résumé via email to email@example.com, referencing “Global Mandarin Data Editor” in the subject line.
Salary Range: GS 10/11 Equivalent
Job Email id: rfajobs(at)rfa.org