Vienna: Austria, a nation which is witnessing a sudden surge in COVID-19 cases, returned to full lockdown amid protests against the measures on Monday.
COVID-19 infection has been reportedly spreading across Europe in recent times.
New restrictions have sparked protests throughout Europe. People clashed with police in the Netherlands and Belgium, reports BBC.
WHO regional director Dr Hans Kluge told the BBC on Saturday that unless measures were tightened across Europe - such as on vaccines, wearing masks and with Covid passes for venues - half a million more deaths could be recorded by next spring.
Australia has earlier imposed several rounds of lockdown since the pandemic began.
- Bangladesh registers 15,527 new coronavirus cases in past 24 hours
- Pfizer and BioNTech initiate study to evaluate Omicron-based COVID-19 vaccine in adults aged between 18-55
- ‘No free ride’ for COVID, it's here ‘for the foreseeable future’: Tedros
- Covid pandemic can end in 2022 if comprehensive measures taken: WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
- Bangladesh witnessing another surge in COVID-19 cases, positivity rate touches 31 pct