27 Feb 2015, 05:22 pm Print
According to the reports, poachers killed a male rhino at Ganarati Chapari area under Gahpur forest range officemorning and fled with its horn.
"Forest guards found the de-horned body with bullet marks. Poachers had managed to flee from the site after cutting off its horn, " a forest official said.
The poaching incident happened during the time when Assam forest minister Atuwa Munda visited the national park.
Munda immediately suspended the concerned forest official.
"I had immediately suspended the Gahpur forest range officer Pushadhar Burhagohain and ordered an inquiry," he said.
The state forest minister had visited the national park and discussed to curb the rhino poaching incidents during a high level meeting with DC's and SP's of Golaghat, Nagaon and Karbi Anglong districts, top forest officials said.
The minister will visit the Char Chapari area of Biswanath under KNP.
Poachers killed seven one horned rhinoceros, including six alone in Kaziranga, in this year so far.
(Reporting by Hemanta Kumar Nath)
- Biodiversity and ecosystem protection highlighted on Mother Earth Day
- Australian govt lists Koalas as endangered species
- Rare coral reef discovered near Tahiti is ‘like a work of art’, says diver
- US: Snow leopard dies in zoo after suffering from COVID-19
- Forensic lab aids crack down on illegal wildlife trade in Viet Nam