Doha, Dec 3: Qatar on Monday announced its decision to withdraw from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in order to focus on increasing production of natural gas.
The move will be made effective from Jan 1, 2019.
Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, the country’s Minister of State for Energy Affairs made the announcement during a press conference in Doha on Monday.
Quoting Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, Qatar Petroleum, the state-owned corporation responsible for oil and gas activities, posted on Twitter: "The withdrawal decision reflects Qatar’s desire to focus its efforts on plans to develop and increase its natural gas production from 77 million tons per year to 110 million tons in the coming years."
He said: "Achieving our ambitious growth strategy will undoubtedly require focused efforts, commitment and dedication to maintain and strengthen Qatar’s position as the leading natural gas producer.”
Qatar was a member of OPEC since 1961.
Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi said OPEC has been informed on the matter.
Image: OPEC website
- US jobless claims again surpassed 6 mln last week as COVID-19 devastates economy
- Over 1Mln jobs lost in Canada in March amid COVID-19 pandemic: Labor Force Survey
- COVID-19: impact could see 195 million job losses, says ILO chief
- COVID-19: The global food supply chain is holding up, for now
- World economy is now in recession, worse than 2008 crisis: IMF