Just Earth News 11 Jan 2017, 03:38 am Print
The debate was convened by Sweden in its capacity as the President of the Council for the month of January 2017.
In his address, the UN chief is expected to underline the need for new, strengthened efforts to build and sustain peace across the board, from prevention, conflict resolution and peacekeeping to peacebuilding and long-term and sustainable development.
Guterres, who took office on 1 January, is also expected to brief the 15-member Council on his initiatives to rebalance the UN Secretariat’s approach to peace and security and to increase its capacity to integrate all pillars of the global organization – peace and security, human rights, and development.
- Palestine calls for full UN membership and a plan to end the occupation
- Libya working towards a democratic transformation, President tells UN
- Ukrainian President outlines peace formula that punishes aggression, restores security
- ‘The story of 2022 is freedom fighting back’ against aggression, UK Prime Minister Truss says in UN speech
- Leadership Council marks ‘new era’ for Yemen, but country remains wary of terrorist threat