Just Earth News 11 Jan 2017, 03:38 am Print
The debate was convened by Sweden in its capacity as the President of the Council for the month of January 2017.
In his address, the UN chief is expected to underline the need for new, strengthened efforts to build and sustain peace across the board, from prevention, conflict resolution and peacekeeping to peacebuilding and long-term and sustainable development.
Guterres, who took office on 1 January, is also expected to brief the 15-member Council on his initiatives to rebalance the UN Secretariat’s approach to peace and security and to increase its capacity to integrate all pillars of the global organization – peace and security, human rights, and development.
- UN chief hails SE Asia for vital role ‘building bridges of understanding’
- India-Uzbekistan Synergy at the SCO
- Kazakhstan to host Astana International Forum in June to address key global challenges
- Japan, Vietnam to work together to tackle China in nearby water: Reports
- China is growing influence on Taliban-ruled Afghanistan