|Location||:||Yangoon, Bogale, Myanmar|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||10 Jun 2022, 11:26 am|
|Closing Date||:||09 Jul 2022, 12:00 am|
Technical assistant for the “microfinance in the Delta zone” component of the RESAD project (Resilience of rural households in the Sagaing and Delta regions of Myanmar)
1. Place: Yangoon, Bogale, Myanmar (Birmanie)
2. Description of position
GRET, an international NGO specialized in development, has been active for more than 40 years in more than thirty countries. It intervenes in the major fields of economic and social development, with an approach based on partnership and research-action. It combines actions in the field with activities of expertise, contribution to public policies and capitalization/dissemination of references.
Since its inception, GRET has promoted the economic development of rural areas through its projects by supporting small rural producers in improving their production methods, but also by promoting and marketing their agricultural products. In addition, GRET participates in the creation and has been supporting microfinance institutions (MFIs) for more than twenty years, particularly in rural areas.
GRET has been present in Myanmar for more than 25 years, where it intervenes in support of the agricultural sector but also on the theme of access to financial services, with in particular the creation of an MFI in the state of Chin and Dry Zone. Since 2008, GRET has been working in the Ayeyarwaddy Delta region, as part of a global program with farmers in the region. This program has enabled the creation of organizations of local producers but also of financial and non-financial services dedicated to these organizations. The financial services put in place are original in several respects :
– Through its general organization: The credit system is based on a cooperative model through the existence of 23 credit cooperatives, each grouping half a dozen villages. These self-managed cooperatives are gathered together in a network called AYAM (Ayeyar Ah Man, force of Delta) and each cooperative in the network has signed a service contract with a management company, created by former GRET employees, to manage the funds credit and manage it. This company is named SAM (Su paung Ah Man, The strength of the collective).
– Through the financial services offered: The financial products are adapted to the needs of poor farmers, both rice farmers for whom hire purchase and storage credit (warrantage) have been created, but also landless farmers who have access to micro-credit for animal husbandry, horticulture and small business activities.
The Covid-19 crisis but especially the coup d’etat of February 2022 have weakened all public and private institutions as well as the country’s economy. Microfinance institutions are particularly suffering during this period and the network of AYAM cooperatives as well as SAM are encountering great difficulties in continuing to ensure the regularity of the financial services offered. Also, within the framework of financing granted by AFD to improve the resilience of rural households in the Sagaing and Delta regions by reducing their vulnerability to risks (RESAD project), GRET wishes to strengthen management skills and to develop the financial products that it has already implemented in the area (hire-purchase, storage credit, small producer credit service) and lead in the medium term to the creation of an MFI based in Bogale.
Also, GRET is looking for hire an expatriate employee in charge of the “financial services” component of the RESAD program, in support of SAM represented by its general manager, Ms Yamin Ae.
3. Description of the mission
The expatriate employee will provide technical assistance to the SAM partner and more particularly to support its management, under the supervision of the GRET representative in Myanmar and the head office program manager. He/she will be in charge of the following missions :
• Management/audit/finance: it will support the SAM management structure to improve its accounting, management and financial monitoring tools and, more broadly its general organization for the management of credit funds. Thus, he/she will have to :
1. Diagnose the needs in accounting and management tools but also with regard to the obligations and standards of microfinance.
2. Propose accounting and financial management solutions appropriate to the organization of the model implemented in the Delta and in accordance with national and international prescriptions in terms of microfinance.
• Set up the system of financial monitoring and follow-up of the financial risks of cooperatives.
• Develop financial and accounting procedures and formalize them in an appropriate procedures guide.
• Participate in the reflection and definition of governance for the future MFI.
• Human resources management :
• Monitoring of the Delta component of RESAD project in terms of activity planning, budget monitoring and activity reporting, in coordination with the headquarter program responsible.
• In link with the GRET program manager, he/she will schedule a gradual transfer of his/her skills and responsibilities to local teams with the aim of having an autonomous team at the end of the project.
• Higher education (Bac+5) in a business and/or management school, in a Master’s degree in finance/management or in agronomy with additional training in economics and management.
• At least a year or two of financial management experience.
• Experience in a developing country. Experience in Asia is an asset.
• Ability to work in a team and adaptability to the rural environment.
• Ability to analyze risks and formalize procedures.
• Good writing skills, written and oral expression in French and English (essential).
GRET is committed to supporting people with disabilities and actively fights against all forms of discrimination. This job offer is open to all people with the required profile.
Status: Expatriate employee on fixed-term contract.
Duration: 18 months.
Salary from 32,4 K€ gross per year, depending on the experience of the person selected and according to the GRET salary scale + Expatriation allowance from 1 300 euro depending on the family situation.
Location: Due to security conditions, the position will initially be based in Yangon, with regular travel to Bogalé. If security conditions allow it in the long term, the position will be relocated to Bogalé.
Expected start date : July 2022.
6 . How to apply?
Please send CV (maximum 3 pages) and cover letter to the following e-mail address : email@example.com and insert in the subject of the e-mail the reference “Technical assistant microfinance project RESAD” before June 30 2022.
Please do not call. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
To find out more about GRET: www.gret.org
Job Email id: accueil(at)gret.org