• Lead the project coordination and implementation for Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA) Project which explores into accelerating the green transition and energy access in Africa. SESA project is being implemented in Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Malawi, Morocco, Namibia, Tanzania, Rwanda and Nigeria. Some of the energy solutions include Solar PV solutions, waste-to-energy, bioenergy solutions, battery energy storage, clean cooking solutions, solar pumping, mini-grids, etc. The main tasks, among others, include: -
1. To contribute/create/produce a scalable and harmonized toolbox for advanced implementation, management and operation strategies of efficient sustainable energy solutions.
2. Develop concepts and pre-feasibility studies for transformational sustainable energy projects.
3. Coordinate with project partners, reporting, compiling key messages of project outcomes, implementing the project work plan and technical assistance.
• Support the implementation and outreach of ICLEI’s Transformative Actions Program (TAP), in particular as it relates to helping RE projects access finance for local implementation.
• Responsibility for event management, monitoring and knowledge management with focus on sustainable energy and finance topics. Engage in virtual and in-person capacity building activities on RE for local, regional and national governments, in close coordination with ICLEI’s team of trainers.
• Support the Head of Sustainable Energy team with business development, project acquisition and with coordination for fundraising on the topics of sustainable energy transition, 100% Renewables, energy access and security, and climate neutrality. Support with the strategic development of the team and oversee the development of projects, knowledge products and publications in order to establish ICLEI as a globally leading organisation in Sustainable Energy Transition for Cities and Regions.
• Represent ICLEI, in particular the ICLEI World Secretariat, in official functions and vis-à-vis partners, funders, local and regional governments and build a strong contact network of partners and funders
• Support the Director of Global Advocacy, the Director of the carbonn® Climate Center and the Head of Sustainable Energy with advocacy tasks, also engagement with partners, coalitions and alliances.
• Engage in the further development and promotion of ICLEI’s Low Emission Development pathway, working closely with ICLEI offices to enhance their RE policy and technical support of local and regional governments; and engaging in ad hoc tasks as needed.
• Business travel.
• Technical background, addition of finance, business, economy will be an advantage, with at least a University Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Energy, Renewables, Energy Economics, Business, Environment, Climate Change, Urban Studies, Sustainable Development, and/or any other related interdisciplinary studies/field. IT or developer (web/excel) skills will be an added advantage.
• At least 5 years of work experience, preferably 8 or more, in renewables, energy, climate and environment sector or a related field, of which minimum 3 years of project coordination and management services, and minimum 2 years of proposal writing/project acquisition. Experience working with an international organization is an advantage.
• Academic, on-field and practical knowledge, with proven expertise on renewable energy – technologies, project development (ideally in developing and emerging countries) and finance & business modelling, and the role of local and regional governments in this context. Profound professional experience in the evaluation of renewable energy projects including profitability calculations and cash flow models expertise.
• Knowledge of the Paris Agreement, Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Just Energy Transition, Net-Zero Emissions, Climate Neutrality, Multi-level Governance and/or Vertical Integration is desirable.
• Experience in working with an international organization will be an asset. Additional experience with not-for-profit, NGO and/or membership organizations is a benefit.
• Excellent command of English (fluency in spoken English, strong writing and editing skills), additionally proficiency/business fluency in Spanish and German is preferred. Furthermore, other languages such as French, German, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa (Indonesian) is an asset.
• Software proficiency with Microsoft Suite, Energy modelling and Project Development software and internet applications. Experience in carrying out quantitative techno-economic assessments with simulation models, especially within the energy sphere is an advantage.
• Readiness for frequent international travel
The successful candidate:
• High interest and enthusiasm for cities and urban areas, local government, good governance, climate change and sustainable urban development. Understanding the interaction between various stakeholders, such as local, regional and national governments; international organizations; research institutions; and private sector, including finance institutions with a good track-record of contributing to successful project design and meaningful partnerships.
• Strong skills in project management, the management of complex multicultural groups working together as a team on a project, technical aptitude, analytical and critical thinking, messaging reporting and concise writing, partner relationship management, research and communication is required.
• Excellent self-organization, creative and systems thinking, and pro-active attitude in teamwork is required. Loyal, reliable and a highly motivated team player dedicated to driving innovative and sustainable energy solutions but is also an independent worker with a focus on quality delivery.
• Shows excellence in communicating ICLEI’s message to public policy makers, municipal technical staff, partners, and donors.
Terms and conditions:
• The position is available from 1 November 2022 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
• The contract will have a limited duration for two (2) years, with the possibility of extension.
• Starting annual salary of 45.924 EUR before tax and social insurance fees. The final salary and position will be determined based on the chosen applicant’s years of relevant professional experience. Please note that the appointment may be made at a lower grade based on qualifications and professional experience of the selected applicant.
• Workings hours: 40 per week, 30 days of paid leave per year.
• Working language: English.
• The contract will be based on German law.
• International travel may be required; communication with partners around the world may require work outside of normal office hours.
• The Senior Officer reports to the Head of Sustainable Energy.
By email to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Officer, Sustainable Energy” in the subject line and send us:
• A letter of motivation, your recent CV (max. 4 pages) and other supporting documents and/or certificates all merged into one pdf file of up to 5 MB size.
• Indication of possible start date.
• Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for Germany).
Application Deadline: Saturday, 1 October 2022, 23:59 CEST
Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI World Secretariat’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organization hires employees without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, marital status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their relevant qualifications and competencies.
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered. In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content. Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
ICLEI e.V. World Secretariat
Job Email id: careers.bonn(at)iclei.org