Image credit : Unsplash
Dhaka/Xinhua: Bangladesh ranks 75th among 107 countries in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2020, according to the new GHI report released on Sunday.
In 2019, Bangladesh ranked at the 88th position in the GHI list of 117 countries.
According to the GHI report published jointly by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe, Sri Lanka ranked 64th and Nepal 73rd in the index, ahead of Bangladesh.
Among other qualifying South Asian countries, Bangladesh is ahead of its three other South Asian neighbors, Afghanistan, India and Pakistan, as the countries are ranked 99th, 94th and 88th respectively in 2020 GHI.
Despite the progress, with a GHI score of 20.4, levels of hunger in Bangladesh fall under the "serious" category, the report said.
- Syria: Humanitarians ‘very concerned’ for thousands still living in Al Hol camp
- Violence, COVID-19, contribute to rising humanitarian needs in the Sahel
- Rape is wrong but death penalty, castration, not the answer: UN rights chief
- Myanmar: ‘Shocking’ killing of children allegedly used as human shields
- Right to education: Baloch students of Bahauddin Zakaria University march to Islamabad