|Organization Name||:||C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group|
|Location||:||Washington DC, United States|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neurodiversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
The Senior Manager of US Federal Affairs will be responsible for liaising with the US federal government (both Congress and the Biden Administration) and other key organizational partners in working on Federal Affairs for C40.. Additionally, the position will work directly with C40 member cities, as well as partners and cities of partner organizations to advance advocacy efforts that support cities' climate change objectives.
• Represent C40 with key partners in institutions in Washington DC (, ex: 1) Congressional Committees, White House, DOT, EPA, DOE, 2) State Department, USAID and other federal agencies responsible for US foreign policy and cooperation 3) World Bank, IMF and other key intergovernmental institutions based in Washington DC
• Work with Climate Mayors on delivering joint advocacy efforts such as mayoral statements to Congress, talking points for Congressional testimony for mayors, meetings with key individuals promoting joint C40 and Climate Mayors objectives
• Support partner organization’s federal efforts (American Cities Climate Challenge, USDN, America Is All In, US Conference of Mayors, National League of Cities) and provide capacity on joint projects and advocacy efforts between partners
• Support the management of a network of C40 city mayoral federal affairs liaisons located in Washington DC and develop and share resources across these key contacts
• Track federal policy and program development from agencies, Congress and the White House that advances or could advance key ambitious climate actions and provide updates, resources (memos and talking points) for our cities to use in advocacy efforts for the policies and programs
• Execute strategic opportunities for C40 mayors to advocate for the advancement of key federal policies in support of their climate efforts
• Work with communications agency to develop materials, joint messaging and placement of strategic media opportunities for mayors to showcase best practices in key Congressional States and Districts
• Support the development and implementation of strategies to address political and regulatory barriers to climate action in C40 cities at the federal level.
• Represent C40 in meetings with key partners in Washington DC, especially regarding C40’s International Diplomacy efforts
• Experience working on with on in a Mayor's office, on Capitol Hill, in a US federal agency or White House or NGO that works on federal policy
• Understanding of climate change policy at the federal and local level
• Ability to work independently and both develop and implement a strategy
• Strong experience in writing briefing materials, talking points and summarizing reports for a political audience
• Experience working at or with NGOs or coalitions who engage in federal advocacy and education efforts
• Experience in a range of topics and ability to learn and dive deep into new topics quickly
• Excellent organizational skills and detailed oriented
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Interested in a long-term career in working on climate change.
• Strong English language skills.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the United States. Some travel may be required as part of the role
Location: Washington, DC
Term: Fixed Term Until 31 December 2022
Closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 21 October 2021. C40 reserves the right to close this job opening before the closing date for applications.
Apply at: https://c40.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=168