Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 24 May 2026, 01:43 am Print
US Crime The suspect in the gunfire incident outside the White House was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Photo: X/Videograb.
A man who opened fire near a security checkpoint outside the White House on Saturday evening was shot dead by United States Secret Service officers after they returned fire, authorities said.
The incident unfolded near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue shortly after 6 p.m. ET.
Suspect pulled weapon from bag
In a preliminary statement, the Secret Service said the suspect removed a weapon from a bag and began firing near the White House perimeter.
Officers immediately responded with gunfire, striking the suspect. He was taken to a hospital, where he later died.
Preliminary statement regarding the shooting incident on 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. pic.twitter.com/NOdFKmwVuU
— U.S. Secret Service Office of Communications (@SecretSvcSpox) May 24, 2026
The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation.
Bystander injured in shooting
A bystander was also injured during the exchange of fire. Officials said it remains unclear whether the person was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or by responding officers.
The Secret Service said none of its personnel were injured.
Trump was inside the White House
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was not harmed, the Secret Service confirmed.
??? BREAKING: Additional footage has emerged capturing the moment shots were fired outside the White House during a live broadcast with an anchor on air. https://t.co/IbkWfPGKAG pic.twitter.com/OXnUgkHNty
— Mario Nawfal (@MarioNawfal) May 23, 2026
Journalists stationed at the White House reported hearing multiple rounds of gunfire and were instructed to take shelter inside the press briefing room.
Dramatic video captures chaos
Selina Wang shared a video on social media showing the moment reporters ducked for cover after hearing what she described as “dozens of gunshots.”
The clip, filmed near the White House media area, quickly spread online and was viewed millions of times.
FBI monitoring situation
Kash Patel said law enforcement agencies were responding to the shooting and promised further updates as the investigation continues.
Crime scene tape, evidence markers and emergency medical supplies were later seen scattered across the sidewalk outside the White House complex.
Third security scare in a month
The shooting marks the third gunfire-related security incident near President Trump in the past month.
In April, authorities said an attempted assassination plot targeted Trump during the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.
Earlier this month, Secret Service officers exchanged fire with another suspect near the Washington Monument, leaving a teenage bystander injured.
- Donald Trump says Iran peace deal 'largely negotiated', final details being worked out
- Dumpster drama goes prime time: Trump’s AI takedown of Colbert ignites explosive late-night showdown
- China mine disaster: 90 die in devastating explosion, emergency rescue underway
- Thailand tightens entry rules, ends 60-day visa-free stay for Indians
- Shock executions: Iran puts two Kurds to death over 'separatist' charges

