Zhengzhou (Xinhua/UNI) Twenty three children were poisoned by a teacher at a kindergarten in central China's Henan Province, local authorities said Monday.
The food poisoning happened around 10 a.m. on March 27 in Mengmeng kindergarten in the city of Jiaozuo, according to the local public security department.
According to the preliminary investigation, the poisoning was caused by sodium nitrite released by a teacher surnamed Wang. The suspect has been detained and further investigation is underway.
Sodium nitrite is a food additive used in processed meats and fish products, and in high amounts can be toxic for animals and people.
Most children have been discharged except one with severe symptoms and seven hospitalized for further observation and treatment.
- YouTube is automatically deleting comments which insult China's Communist Party
- PIA plane crash in Pakistan: Death toll touches 97
- After Twitter halts in Pakistan for hours on Sunday, digital rights group demands answer from govt
- China bracing for another COVID-19 wave: Authority put Shulan under Wuhan-like lockdown
- Pakistan: ANP condemns alleged threats to Pashtun leader