|Organization Name||:||EMpower - The Emerging Markets Foundation|
|Location||:||Remote, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||15 Jan 2021, 04:35 am|
|Closing Date||:||05 Feb 2021, 12:00 am|
Terms of Reference
1. Purpose of Consultancy
EMpower seeks the support of a part-time consultant to:
• Support the implementation of our grant-making strategy in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico and Peru.
• Support the implementation of our learning sharing work in Latin America.
• Source for new grantee partners in select countries.
EMpower – The Emerging Markets Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of marginalised young people (10-24), especially adolescent girls, in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Turkey. As a unique global philanthropy, EMpower partners with nearly 100 local organizations providing them with grants, technical assistance, youth development expertise and learning opportunities. Through programs in education, livelihoods and health and well-being, it empowers youth and strengthens their resilience and self-confidence. EMpower has offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, Singapore and Delhi. To learn more about EMpower, please visit www.empowerweb.org.
In collaboration with and under the supervision of the Senior Programme Officer for Latin America, the consultant will be responsible for:
Management of grants (55%)
• Review, screen and make recommendations on incoming letters of inquiry and grant proposals. Conduct due diligence and negotiate proposals and budgets with prospective and current grantee partners.
• Prepare written grant summaries and present recommendations to appropriate EMpower grants committees.
• Monitor grants through review of reports, calls/meetings, site visits and correspondence. Review and prepare analyses of grantee partners’ final reports; providing feedback to grantee partners and incorporating highlights into EMpower materials.
• Identify and vet potential grantee partners in select Latin American countries.
• Network with other organisations to explore collaborative grant-making opportunities and share useful information.
Learning, Convening and Knowledge sharing (35%)
• Assist in planning opportunities for facilitating capacity building while taking a lead in identifying and organising such opportunities.
• Draft reports (or key sections) for programmatic grants to EMpower, and occasional proposals as they relate to EMpower’s grant-making in Latin America.
• Provide content for e-communications, annual reports and other materials as they relate to the Latin America portfolio.
• Contribute to fundraising and communications processes as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Start day: 1st March 2021.
End date: contract renewable subject to successful delivery and availability of funding.
5. Work effort
The work effort required would be equivalent to three days (25 hours) per week. First contract will end on 30th June 2021.
6. Specific requirements
• University degree in field related to youth development, such as international development, public policy or administration, social anthropology, or gender studies.
• At least 8 years of experience in working with youth development organisations.
• Experience in thinking creatively and strategically about how to direct limited resources to leverage change.
Skills and knowledge:
• Demonstrate strong understanding of youth development issues in Latin America.
• Strong interpersonal, diplomatic, and written communications skills, demonstrating cultural sensitivity/awareness.
• Collaborative and trust-based approach to philanthropy.
• Strong writing skills in English and Spanish.
• Proficiency in both English and Spanish is essential. Portuguese preferred.
• Highly organized, with skills and experience in program management or grants administration.
• Ability to work with and analyze budgets and quantitative information in Excel spreadsheets or in databases.
• Critical analytical capacities. Interest and ability to see and report on trends and results, and to compile lessons learned.
• Interest in the field of youth development; education, employment, sexual and reproductive health and right and gender equality.
• Flexible with ability to juggle tasks and shift priorities as required. Strong initiative and ability to anticipate.
• Ability to work with a small team in a dynamic environment; sense of humor and perspective.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications, including databases. Comfortable with learning new database technology. Experience using Salesforce a plus.
• Ability to travel nationally and regionally if/when needed.
7. Place of assignment
Home-based. The ideal candidate should be based in one of EMpower’s focus countries in Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, or Peru.
Travel, if required, will be funded separately.
Commensurate with experience.
10. Closing date for submissions
Interested candidates should send a letter of intent and CV (in English and Spanish) to Shelbi at email@example.com with "Consultant, Latin America" in the subject line. The closing date for submissions is February 5, 2021.
The consultant will be line-managed by the Senior Programme Officer for Latin America.
12. Equal Opportunity Employer
EMpower is a global funder that makes grants globally to benefit marginalized young people, especially adolescent girls and young women. We strive to attract, develop, motivate and retain exceptional talent. We are committed to a team work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect, facilitates strong performance, and prizes inclusion. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
Job Email id: hr(at)empowerweb.org