|Organization Name||:||Development Gateway (DG)|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Short-Term Project Consultant: Sampling Expert in E-cigarette Use
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: www.developmentgateway.org
This position will be working within a three-year program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The program - Tobacco Control Data Initiative (TCDI) - will be implemented in up to eight African countries. The purpose of the program is to understand the respective countries’ tobacco data needs, identify existing data, confirm gaps in available tobacco data, collect new data to fill those gaps, and develop tools to enable policy makers to use essential data to inform policy. Although this program is focused on tobacco control and products such as e-cigarettes, you do not need to be an expert on the subject, though experience is preferred.
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor. This position can be based anywhere.
The Sampling Expert (Consultant) will design a sampling approach for collecting phone-based and/or online data on e-cigarette use in South Africa. Ground-based data collection at shops where e-cigarettes are sold may also be included in the approach. The consultant will recommend a design that most accurately represents the target population group. We seek a sampling expert from South Africa or one who has done extensive work in South Africa.
The consultant will develop a sampling strategy for an e-cigarette survey in South Africa, including provision of sample size recommendations, number of clusters and size (where appropriate), stratification (where appropriate), and geographic allocation of the sample.
• Review documentation about the objectives of the survey and questionnaire (currently being finalized).
• Conduct background research as needed to inform development of sampling approach.
• Advise on the limitations of the sampling methodology with regard to representativeness and make recommendations for improvements, as relevant.
• Conduct power tests for variables of interest at different levels of aggregation.
• Deliver a sampling recommendation report that outlines the sample design, sample size, number of clusters and size (where appropriate), stratification (where appropriate), and geographic allocation of the sample. The report should also include guidance for situations in which observations might need to be replaced.
• Construct design, post-stratification and non-response weights (where appropriate)
• Recommend appropriate statistical techniques for analysis of the data.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics or related field
• At least 10 years targeted professional experience in developing countries, with at least 4 years working specifically in South Africa in the area of statistics, surveys, sampling
• Fluency in written and spoken English required
• Experience working and/or living overseas required
• You have strong problem solving skills and are known for your commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
• You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, creative environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills important.
• You're comfortable working with data using spreadsheets, databases, and/or statistical software packages.
• You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
• You can work effectively both autonomously and as a great teammate, influencing others' attitudes and behaviors through example.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
This consultancy is expected to be 5 days, as we anticipate approximately three days of work prior to implementation of the survey and 1 - 2 days after data collection has been completed in early 2021. We are flexible in our scheduling to accommodate your other work commitments.
The projected daily rate for this consultancy is between US$600 and $650/day, dependent upon the location and experience level of the successful applicant.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Women and minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Sampling Expert” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Email id: jobs(at)developmentgateway.org