|Organization Name||:||Enough Project|
|Location||:||Washington, DC, United States|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Position: Senior Writer, The Sentry
Location: Washington, D.C.-based preferred
Reports to: Executive Director
Seeking a highly-experienced and talented writer/storyteller to work with the Executive Director of The Sentry, his co-founder, and senior directors of the organization to help develop narratives for op-eds, videos, reports, speeches, fundraising, and a potential book project. Working collaboratively with the organization’s investigations and policy teams, this position will be part of an integrated communications strategy to drive attention and action stemming from our work.
This is a contract position, half to two-thirds time, six to nine months with possibility of extension and possibility of conversion to full-time position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
• Craft stories to inspire, influence and engage a variety of audiences to shape public discourse, bring attention to the issues, add a human element to our communications efforts, and drive policy action.
• Work closely with the Executive Director and collaborate with The Sentry’s Investigations, Policy, Advocacy, and Development teams to craft stories drawing from and contributing to op-eds, videos, speeches, reports, investigations, policy materials, campaigns, development proposals, and other key products and initiatives.
• Develop new storytelling materials, including contributions to a possible book project.
• Keep up-to-date and well versed on our reports, investigations, current issues, organizational priorities, policy recommendations and the impact of our work.
• Keep current with the news and public discourse on our issues and countries of focus.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• 5+ years working in storytelling, communications, public relations, thought leadership, script writing, book writing, and/or speechwriting.
• Exceptional ability to craft compelling stories distilling from complex, technical or policy-driven reports, investigations and other written materials.
• Ability to calmly, professionally and effectively handle a fast-paced work environment.
• Diligent, organized, and consistently meet deadlines.
• A superior portfolio of writing and storytelling work.
• Expertise reviewing, editing and strengthening op-eds, speeches, video scripts, and other written materials.
• Strong testimonials from clients, colleagues and professionals that speak to relevant storytelling and collaboration skills.
• Ability to forge strong relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently and still be team-oriented.
• Experience living in or working on Africa, including professional experience related to international development, international relations, or related fields.
• Passionate about peace, social justice and human rights.
Desirable but Not Required – Additional Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Hold an academic degree in a relevant field (including but not limited to public relations, communications, journalism, or international relations).
• Experience in video, multimedia, advertising/marketing, and/or creative production.
• Experience in fields related to the work of The Sentry, including anti-money laundering, sanctions, illicit financial flows, or other issues related to transnational crime and corruption.
About The Sentry
The Sentry is an investigative and policy team that follows the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers and seeks to shut those benefiting from violence out of the international financial system. By disrupting the cost-benefit calculations of those who hijack governments for self-enrichment in East and Central Africa, the deadliest war zone globally since World War II, we seek to counter the main drivers of conflict and create new leverage for peace, human rights, and good governance. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is composed of financial investigators, international human rights lawyers, and regional experts, as well as former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals. Learn more at www.TheSentry.org.
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Writer” in the subject line of your email.
Job Email id: jobs(at)thesentry.org