Image credit : Unsplash
Damascus/Xinhua: The wildfires that have raged in several areas of Syria were all successfully put out, the pro-government al-Watan newspaper cited the minister of agriculture Muhammad Hassan Qatana as saying on Sunday.
Qatana said the wildfires that engulfed wide areas in the countryside of Homs province in central Syria, as well as the northwestern provinces of Tartous and Latakia, were all successfully extinguished.
A total of 156 fires have raged across the forests and agricultural areas since Friday, said the minister.
Other reports said the work to assess the losses and damage has started.
Four people were killed by the fires and over 80 others suffered suffocation.
- Address water scarcity ‘immediately and boldly’, urges UN agriculture agency chief
- Fears of Desert Locust resurgence in Horn of Africa
- Effective disaster risk governance saves lives, UN highlights on World Tsunami Awareness Day
- Carbon dioxide levels hit new record; COVID impact ‘a tiny blip’, WMO says
- Pakistan govt's development of proposed island megacity off Karachi leaves locals, wetland in danger