05 Feb 2015, 03:55 pm Print
According to UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), with whom Soria Toledo was stationed, on 28 January at around , it observed six rockets launch towards Israel from the vicinity of Wazzani north of Maysat in the UNIFIL area of operations. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) returned artillery fire in the same general area. During the course of the developments, Soria Toledo sustained serious injuries that resulted in his death.
In a statement to the press , the 15-member Council expressed its deepest sympathy to the family of the fallen peacekeeper and to the Government of Spain. The Council said that it looked forward to the immediate completion of UNIFIL’s full and comprehensive investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident.
Last week following the incident, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his concern over the serious deterioration of the situation in Southern Lebanon and the violations of the cessation of hostilities agreements, which called for the end to the month-long 2006 war between Israel and Hizbollah in Lebanon.
- General Assembly adopts resolution on Russian reparations for Ukraine
- Germany decides to reevaluate relationship with China, Beijing irked
- China sends message to Taiwan by reshuffling top military in Eastern Theatre Command
- Pakistan one of the most dangerous nations in the world: US President Joe Biden
- China presents moderate face at United Nations