Just Earth News 19 May 2017
“I am following with great concern the ongoing hunger strike by Palestinian detainees protesting against their conditions in Israeli jails,” said the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Nickolay Mladenov, in a statement.
“The strike is now entering its second month and it is imperative that a resolution be found as soon as possible in line with international humanitarian law and Israel’s human rights obligations,” he added.
Expressing hope that current efforts will result in an immediate resolution to the matter, which is in the interest of ongoing initiatives to revive a political process, he called on all actors to exercise maximum restraint, show responsibility and take all necessary steps to avoid escalating tensions.
- At Security Council, UN chief calls for ‘quantum leap’ in funding activities to prevent conflict, address root causes
- UN-EU conference raises $4.4 billion for war-ravaged Syria; leaders underscore need for political solution
- UN-EU conference on future of Syria opens in Brussels with urgent call for international support
- TV journalist shot dead by unknown gunmen in Afghanistan
- Nicaragua: UN chief calls on all sides to exercise restraint in wake of protests