Just Earth News
“I am following with great concern the ongoing hunger strike by Palestinian detainees protesting against their conditions in Israeli jails,” said the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Nickolay Mladenov, in a statement.
“The strike is now entering its second month and it is imperative that a resolution be found as soon as possible in line with international humanitarian law and Israel’s human rights obligations,” he added.
Expressing hope that current efforts will result in an immediate resolution to the matter, which is in the interest of ongoing initiatives to revive a political process, he called on all actors to exercise maximum restraint, show responsibility and take all necessary steps to avoid escalating tensions.
- ‘All refugees want to go home someday’ – UNHCR spokesperson and author Melissa Fleming
- UN strongly condemns terrorist attack in Egypt
- Some 10,000 people fleeing west Mosul every day, UN migration agency warns
- Fresh violence empties city in Central African Republic; senior UN official urges more aid
- Libya: UN envoy calls on rival groups to immediately halt violence in Tripoli