Just Earth News 19 May 2017
“I am following with great concern the ongoing hunger strike by Palestinian detainees protesting against their conditions in Israeli jails,” said the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Nickolay Mladenov, in a statement.
“The strike is now entering its second month and it is imperative that a resolution be found as soon as possible in line with international humanitarian law and Israel’s human rights obligations,” he added.
Expressing hope that current efforts will result in an immediate resolution to the matter, which is in the interest of ongoing initiatives to revive a political process, he called on all actors to exercise maximum restraint, show responsibility and take all necessary steps to avoid escalating tensions.
- Korean nuclear crisis, Middle East quagmire eroding global security, UN chief tells Munich summit
- UN, partners complete first aid delivery in months to Syria’s war-battered east Ghouta
- UN says more than 10,000 civilians killed or injured in Afghanistan conflict last year
- Syria: Civilians killed on ‘horrific scale’ as conflict begins spilling across borders
- At donor conference, UN chief launches two-year plan to fast-track Iraq reconstruction