Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 03 Jan 2018
Lima, Jan 3 (JEN): A fatal road accident in Peru claimed at least 36 lives on Tuesday, media reports said.
The accident took place in Pasamayo, about 72 and half kilometres from Lima, the national capital.
#MinsaEsAcción— Ministerio de Salud (@Minsa_Peru) January 2, 2018
El accidente vehicular en la variante de #Pasamayo dejó hasta el momento 36 personas fallecidas y 06 heridos.
â–º El Ministerio de Salud envió 05 ambulancias SAMU, coordinó con los bomberos para el despliegue de 11 unidades adicionales. pic.twitter.com/z9xjQyd2td
According to BBC news, a tractor trailer slammed into a bus at a stretch of road known as Curva del Diablo (the devil's bend), causing the latter to drop 260 feet from the surface, onto a beach.
The deaths have been mourned by President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, who said in a statement, “It’s very sad for us as a country to suffer an accident of this magnitude.”
Earlier, the death toll was placed at 25.
According to rescuers, six people have survived the accident.
- Afghanistan: Militant ambush kills at least three policemen in Kabul
- US leaders condole loss of lives in Toronto van attack
- Kabul suicide attack: Death toll rises to 60
- Yemen: President's assassination will not break the will of the Yemeni people, says Houthi leader
- 9 dead, 16 injured as van ploughs down pedestrians in Toronto