Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 02 Jan 2018
Goiania, Jan 2 (JEN): At least nine people have been killed in a prison riot in central Brazil's Goias province.
The incident took place on New Year's Day, after an armed gang attacked its rival and decapitated at least one member.
According to reports, at least 14 people have been injured while more than a 100 prisoners have escaped the facility.
However, police have arrested 30 prisoners, while more than 80 are still missing.
Brazil has one of the largest prison population in the world.
Most prisons in the South American country is also violent and highly understaffed.
- Afghanistan: Woman killed by brother in alleged 'honour killing'
- Afghanistan: Militant ambush kills at least three policemen in Kabul
- US leaders condole loss of lives in Toronto van attack
- Kabul suicide attack: Death toll rises to 60
- Yemen: President's assassination will not break the will of the Yemeni people, says Houthi leader