Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 02 Jan 2018
Goiania, Jan 2 (JEN): At least nine people have been killed in a prison riot in central Brazil's Goias province.
The incident took place on New Year's Day, after an armed gang attacked its rival and decapitated at least one member.
According to reports, at least 14 people have been injured while more than a 100 prisoners have escaped the facility.
However, police have arrested 30 prisoners, while more than 80 are still missing.
Brazil has one of the largest prison population in the world.
Most prisons in the South American country is also violent and highly understaffed.
- 12-hour Kabul hotel siege ends; five civilians and four gunmen killed, 160 rescued
- Terror strike in Kabul luxury hotel kills five, two gunmen shot dead
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern announces pregnancy
- Chinese company allegedly offers bribe to Bangladeshi official, gets blacklisted
- Colombia bridge collapse kills at least 10