Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 02 Jan 2018
Goiania, Jan 2 (JEN): At least nine people have been killed in a prison riot in central Brazil's Goias province.
The incident took place on New Year's Day, after an armed gang attacked its rival and decapitated at least one member.
According to reports, at least 14 people have been injured while more than a 100 prisoners have escaped the facility.
However, police have arrested 30 prisoners, while more than 80 are still missing.
Brazil has one of the largest prison population in the world.
Most prisons in the South American country is also violent and highly understaffed.
- Afghanistan: At least 162 militants killed in anti-terrorism operations, says defence ministry
- Nawaz Sharif, daughter Maryam arrested after landing at Lahore airport
- At least 19 killed, 31 injured in China chemical plant explosion
- Four killed, 31 injured in blast near election rally in Pakistan
- Nangarhar gunmen attack: 10 killed, 10 others injured